Bookmark and Share

Friday, October 7, 2011

CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP OATMEAL COOKIES

This recipe is part the Mom's Crazy Cooking Challenge hosted by Tina where each month a different food is posted and participants make a recipe of another blogger and all are posted at the same time.   For further details, click here.

This month's challenge was chocolate chip cookies and I chose a chewy chocolate chip oatmeal cookies by Jessica at How Sweet It Is  as the addition of oatmeal makes it sound more healthy than just a regular cookie.
It had a nice flavor and the texture was someone between a cookie and a chewy muffin.

I made larger cookies and it made 15.

Preheat oven to 375.

Ingredients: 
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar 
  • 1 egg 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour 
  • 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate chips, could use
  • 1- 2 tablespoons milk (optional if dough is crumbly)
Allow butter to come to room temperature, then cream together until smooth (I don't own a mixer so I used my hand blender, but in the past have used a fork).









 
 This is what is looked like when blended.











Add egg and vanilla for about two minutes or well mixed.












Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, then add the oats.  If it is still crumbly add 1 tablespoon of milk, if needed add 1 more tablespoon of milk.









Fold in chocolate chips.











The original recipe advised refrigerate for 30 minutes, remove and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls that are 2 inches apart for 9-11 minutes

Instead, I used tablespoons to drop heaping tablespoons on parchment paper without refrigerating and they were done at around 8 minutes, but could vary depending the oven - I would recommend checking at 8 minutes.





Be sure to check out the other participants recipes below.  Next month;'s challenge is mashed potatoes and will be posted November 7th.  If you would like to join the party, visit Mom's Crazy Cooking.

Have a yummy weekend!




4 comments:

  1. Your cookies sound yummy!! I love the addition of oatmeal...almost makes me not feel guilty for eating them. :) It has been a lot of fun participating in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the cookies have great flavors especially with the oats and cinnamon.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my entry, Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great recipe! I just signed up to follow your blog and I can't wait to take a look around at your recipes.

    Blessings,
    Linda
    www.mykindofcooking.com

    ReplyDelete